(7 Nov 2023) Hong Kong Baptist University Library aspires to be a vibrant and dynamic information hub, devoted to facilitating knowledge creation within the HKBU community. We are deeply committed to providing collections and creating environments that empower our users to explore, discover, and create. Our dedicated team is working on projects and strategies to develop state-of-the-art facilities and services to redefine the boundaries of traditional libraries.
The University Library is now searching for a visionary leader with a strong commitment to redefining the role of libraries in the digital age to take on the role of Deputy University Librarian. The successful candidate will be pivotal in driving innovation and shaping the future of the Library.
The appointee will work closely with the University Librarian, providing leadership and operational oversight for the entire library.
- Collaborating with the University Librarian and other senior librarians to formulate and implement library strategic plans, policies, and regulations;
- Participating in collective decision-making relating to Library services, resource allocation, budgeting, and staffing;
- Providing oversight for the day-to-day management of library operations, ensuring the effective delivery of collections, services, and programs;
- Directly supervising two Branch Libraries, in addition to jointly supervising the Library Administrative Office, Library Systems, and User Experience & Assessment; and
- Assuming the responsibilities of the University Librarian in his/her absence.
- A master’s degree in library science or a related field;
- At least ten years of relevant experience, preferably in an academic library setting;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, with the ability to effectively manage organisational change and foster a team-based culture;
- In-depth knowledge of library operations, encompassing acquisitions, cataloguing, collection management, and user services;
- Familiarity with emerging library technologies, integrated library management systems, and discovery services;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Fluency in English, with proficiency in Chinese (Cantonese and Putonghua) preferred;
- A track record of implementing innovative library practices and staying abreast of industry trends; and
- Strong commitment to professional development, along with a history of professional contribution.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to complete a take-home written test.
The earliest start date is 2 April 2024. The initial appointment will be offered on a fixed-term contract of 3 years. Re-appointment thereafter will be subject to mutual agreement.
Reference monthly salary range: HK$85,950 – HK$150,300 (US$1 = HK$7.85)
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are invited to submit their applications at the HKBU e-Recruitment System (https://jobs.hkbu.edu.hk). Those who are not invited for interview 4 months after submission of application may consider their applications unsuccessful. Details of the University’s Personal Information Collection Statement can be found at https://hro.hkbu.edu.hk/en/worklife-at-hkbu/employee-favourable-environment.html#privacy-policy.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment for the post advertised, and the appointment will be made according to the terms and conditions applicable at the time of offer.
Review of applications is ongoing until the position is filled.