(8 April 2018) The Library and Information Networks for Knowledge (LNK) is located in the department of Strategy, Policy and Information (SPI) within the cluster of Director General’s Office (DGO). LNK provides access to knowledge from WHO as well as to other sources of scientific literature produced around the world. WHO Library resources and expertise also provide scientific evidence and knowledge to low- and middle- income countries through Hinari and IRIS. The WHO Library networks and partnerships are an essential component in ensuring that its global initiatives reach a world-wide audience. The unit provides WHO staff with a range of tools and services needed for the organization to remain a leading norm and standard setting institution. The post is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager and in close collaboration with LNK colleagues, Research4Life partners and WHO/IMT, the incumbent:
– Oversees technology systems and services of the Research4Life and WHO Library applications; manages and coordinates upgrades, enhancements, new release installations, and special projects; coordinates and monitors environment and applications to ensure reliable performance, data integrity, and timely and accurate completion of processes which include, but are not limited to: application configuration, database loads, data extracts and transfers, the creation of database statistical reports (25%).
– Coordinates and assists in the creation of specifications for new programs and system enhancements related to core content applications; establishes and administers project plans and schedules and transitions newly implemented environments to production status by coordinating, testing, documentation creation and training; manages related communication (20%).
– Develops strategies, service goals and functional requirement plans for Research4Life and WHO Library software applications; investigates new products and technologies and conducts evaluation and/or proof of concept work to better understand requirements and solution design; implements solutions to best serve the community in line with needs; develops documentation and procedures; develops training materials and provides training (20%).
– Consults with application operators and product support to diagnose and resolve complex problems; provides operational support for investigating and resolving both application and user issues; develops troubleshooting and problem resolution processes to ensure a high level of service and efficiency; influences and collaborates with application operators and product support to maximize the delivery of service and efficiency (16%).
– Performs analysis, remediation, and normalization of metadata in the Research4Life content management system and discovery layer and applies basic programming and scripting skills in support of the technical requirements and production needs for metadata creation, conversion, enhancement, and maintenance including crosswalks; develops and/or customizes applications and tools for automation and innovation (12%).
– Performs other duties, including in the larger unit or department as required or instructed (7%).
Closing date is 26 April 2018.
The full job description is here.