- Combination forms a true end-to-end global solution covering the entire innovation and intellectual property lifecycle
- Accretive to Clarivate adjusted diluted earnings in 2021 with opportunities for significant revenue and cost synergies
- Clarivate reaffirms standalone 2020 financial outlook
- Clarivate to host conference call today at 8:00 AM ET to discuss transaction
(29 Jul 2020) Clarivate Plc (NYSE:CCC), a global leader in providing trusted information and insights to accelerate the pace of innovation, today announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to combine with CPA Global, a global leader in intellectual property (“IP”) software and tech-enabled services. In the all-stock transaction, CPA Global shareholders will receive approximately 218 million Clarivate ordinary shares, representing 35% pro forma fully diluted ownership of Clarivate. Based on the 30-day volume weighted average share price of Clarivate, the implied enterprise value is approximately $6.8 billion, which includes approximately $900 million of the present value of tax assets. The transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals, is expected to close fourth quarter of 2020.
CPA Global provides IP management and technology solutions to more than 12,000 law firm and corporate customers, providing IP professionals with the information, insights and technology they need to manage the world’s intellectual property. Together, CPA Global and Clarivate will form a true end-to-end solution that covers the entire innovation and IP lifecycle – from scientific and academic research to IP portfolio management and protection. The proposed combination of market-leading intellectual property software, data, technology and services will provide customers with seamless access to richer content and broader capabilities as they execute on their innovation and IP strategies.
Jerre Stead, Executive Chairman and CEO, Clarivate, said: “This is a transformative combination with a strong strategic fit between the two companies. It will create a full-service IP organization which will provide customers with a wide range of products and services to help them make faster and smarter critical decisions. The many strategic and financial benefits are expected to enhance our growth and drive value for shareholders. The two companies share similar core values, along with deep industry, subject matter and technical expertise, that when combined, will strengthen our ability to accelerate the pace of innovation.”
Simon Webster, CEO, CPA Global, said: “Combining CPA Global and Clarivate is a natural next step for both businesses. The fit between our respective product offerings across the innovation and IP lifecycle, the commonality of our vision for the future of the industry, and the alignment of both companies’ cultures and values makes for an extremely exciting future for our customers, employees and shareholders alike.”
Compelling strategic benefits to drive future growth
- Complementary strategic fit to meet the needs of a growing market: The proposed combination will build on complementary product and innovation strengths currently held by the two companies: Geographically, given the strength of CPA Global in Europe and Clarivate in North America and Asia; and in product offerings, resulting from CPA Global strengths in IP software and technology-enabled services and Clarivate strengths in content, trademarks and domains.
- Connects the entire innovation management lifecycle: The intellectual expertise of Clarivate and CPA Global, combined with their leading data and advanced technologies, will enable smarter decision-making and free up critical resources across the innovation lifecycle.
- Opportunities to accelerate revenue growth: The combination of Clarivate and CPA Global will create multiple opportunities for accelerated growth focusing on deeper market penetration. The combined company will be able to provide current and future customers with access to a more comprehensive suite of products and allow it to invest in the customer experience through product development and integration in order to create best-of-breed solutions across the expanded software, data and tech-enabled solution suite.
More details can be found from the full press release here.