Department: University Library Vacancies: 2 Job ID: 994993
(10 October 2017) XJTLU is a unique collaboration, the first and currently the only university in China to offer both UK and Chinese accredited undergraduate degrees. It is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), only 24 minutes due west from Shanghai on the fastest high-speed train.
The University Library is recognized as a student-centered, research-led academic library receiving high annual satisfaction ratings. Academic Liaison and Reference Librarians are dedicated to being visible participants in the life of the University by fostering two-way communication between the Library and academic departments/schools. They are not only Trusted Research Partners but also Mentors and Teachers who assist users with independent learning in the Information Age.
The Librarian in this position works in a team environment to build subject-driven collections, create and develop innovative research and instructional services, and be involved in various discipline-specific reference services through multi-channels. The position holder is expected to lead and/or serve as a member of taskforces, project teams and committees.
- 1. Academic Liaison Duties
- Serve as a library liaison and actively builds professional relationships with faculty and staff in assigned academic departments;
- Receive requests from and feedback to academic communities with respect to teaching and research;
- Keep both faculties and the library updated of the changes and progress in each side;
- Represent the Library on relevant university or program committees;
- Develop wide and deep cooperation with other libraries/associations in setting up or contributing to the network of resource sharing, especially on inter-library loan.
- 2. Instruction and Reference Duties
- Work as a team member to develop information literacy workshops/courses for staff and students;
- Play a tutor role to assist senior students in their final year projects;
- Provide basic and in-depth reference services and research consultation to faculty, students, and staff;
- Take reference services to new levels to meet the future needs of the university.
- 3. Collection Development Duties
- Recommend selection of journals and electronic or digital materials;
- Review faculty requests for e-resources, review journals, bibliographies, etc., to keep abreast of current and historical resources in assigned subject areas;
- Investigate and assess databases and other electronic products available in assigned subject areas and recommend purchase or licensing as appropriate;
- Regularly review Subject Profile of assigned departments in support of print collection acquisition.
- 4. Performs other duties as assigned
- Master Degree or above with academic background within current University’s programs or library and information science, or bachelor degree in the listed subjects with more than 5 years working experience in an academic library;
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in English;
- Good presentation skills;
- Demonstrated abilities in research, scholarly work, and professional services;
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment;
- Strong search and retrieval skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, rapidly developing environment;
- Work well independently and collaboratively with colleagues, faculty and staff in a team environment;
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in planning and/or providing information literacy instruction or other teaching experience;
- Excellent Chinese-English bilingual communication skills.
- Demonstrated abilities to explore emerging technologies to create and maintain instructional materials and guides by using appropriate learning management software, content management systems, media tools, etc.
The working language of XJTLU is English. Suitably qualified China and non-China nationals are invited to apply.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at http://job.xjtlu.edu.cn/ to search for the job with keywords ‘Academic Liaison and Reference Librarian’ or Job ID: 994993 to submit an online application. You can find and click the ‘Apply’ button on the application web page and register a user account. After registration, you will be asked to upload your CV, submit a covering letter (in English) outlining your interest in the position, and complete the online Basic Information, Referees and other related information. Enquiries may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Priority will be given to applications received by November 10, 2017 and applications will continue to be reviewed until an appointment is made.