(1 May 2019) SMU is hiring –
Head, Information Services
You will be part of a dynamic and cohesive team, leading a team of professionals to support SMU’s teaching, learning, research and community engagement initiatives.
This is a leadership position to provide innovative vision to plan, develop, promote, implement and evaluate library services including: support for learning, research, faculty, student and broader community engagement in meeting the present and future needs of the Singapore Management University community collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders.
The appointee will contribute to the overall strategic direction and management of the Library, as well as developing and delivering strategy, planning, policy and services for the Library’s research, information, learning and teaching support.
The position holder is expected to provide leadership in the initiation, implementation and review of library policies and programs, specifically in the areas of learning, research and information services. Duties include:
- Leadership for and management of a team of professional librarians and para-professional staff;
- Responsibility for providing high quality services to support research, teaching and learning needs of the SMU faculty and students;
- As a member of the Library Planning Team, contribute to the Library’s strategic planning, decision making and assessment initiatives.
- Deliver on initiatives in areas such as research support, faculty and student engagement, virtual services, culture of assessment and establish and enhance productive relationships across the academic community to ensure library provides pro-active, responsive and customer focused services in line with the strategic direction of SMU to meet the changing demands, needs and expectations of the university community.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, innovative and experienced information professional to support learning, research and engagement at Singapore Management University through the delivery of a range of services designed to maximize the benefits of relevant scholarly information resources and services.
- Master’s level degree in either library science, information science, knowledge management or equivalent discipline
- Demonstrated leadership and collaborative capabilities
- Extensive knowledge of trends in research, learning and information services in academic libraries
- Extensive experience in customer service activities, including service design and innovation, promotion and service evaluation especially in an online service context.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and conceptually and to communicate ideas clearly and persuasively to others.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team and motivate staff
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a team of professional staff and to work collaboratively in a senior team
- Highly developed communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills to ensure the achievement of desired business outcomes.
- Strategic orientation with strong project management leadership and skills
- Flexibility and adaptability – the ability to function under conditions of continuous change
- Ability to facilitate participative decision-making and resolve conflict
- Knowledge of and experience in library marketing and promotion trends and activities
- Ability to participate effectively and co-operatively in the wider affairs of the University
Details about the position are available here.
How to Apply
Interested applicants, please email your resume with a covering letter to [email protected]. The covering letter must state the applicants’ responses to the selection criteria. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.