(8 May 2019) Queensland University of Technology is hiring University Librarian.
The University Librarian is responsible for the strategic leadership and management of the QUT Library in support of the university’s overarching research, learning and teaching priorities.
The position guides and leads the strategic direction of the Library to ensure relevance and alignment to overall university strategy while also ensuring the optimisation of services, resources and systems to meet the current and emerging needs of the QUT community.
Your passion and understanding of the value of library services within the higher education sector, as well as your awareness of advances in current and emerging technologies and practices, will drive your enthusiasm for leading the library team to deliver high-quality, user-centric services.
This position reports to the Director, HiQ and Library Services for supervision, workload management and for Performance Planning and Review (PPR).
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide dynamic and strategic leadership in the provision of: scholarly communication services and other library services supporting research; library resource services, and teaching and learning services in the university environment
- Develop, implement and evaluate the library’s vision and strategic plan to ensure alignment with the university’s overall strategic direction.
- Provide strategic advice and support to the Director, HiQ and Library Services, and other senior leaders, on service improvement, service metrics, policy, projects and systems.
- Foster a high-performance organisational culture within the library that values and encourages a growth mindset, creativity, collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement.
- Manage the financial, physical and human resources of the library service to ensure maximum benefit realisation.
- Build, develop and maintain strong cooperative partnerships internal and external to the university to assist in the effective delivery of library services and to support the university’s strategic goal
- Represent, advocate and engage purposefully as a member of relevant strategic groups, committees and working parties to enhance the visibility of the library service and its value to the university community.
- Implement and administer health and safety policies, procedures, hazard reporting and safe work practices.
Real World Capabilities
To deliver on QUT’s global, collaborative and connected vision requires a workforce that embodies the following capabilities:
- Agility and openness to change
- Connectivity and collaboration (intra and inter-disciplinary)
- Cultural inclusion
- Digital literacy
- Future-focused thinking (strategic, innovative & design and entrepreneurial)
- Global in intent and reach
- Leadership of strategy, action and others
- Performance and resource management
Type of appointment
This appointment will be offered on a fixed-term, full-time basis for three (3) years.
Kelvin Grove campus with travel as required to the Gardens Point Campus
- Education, training and/or relevant experience equivalent to a postgraduate qualification, in conjunction with extensive senior leadership experience managing a contemporary library service within a large, complex organisation.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in leading the provision of: scholarly communication services and other library services supporting research; library information resource services, and teaching and learning services in the university environment.
- Proven strong leadership and management skills that drive a user-centric high performance service culture, focused on collaboration, growth mindset and innovation to enhance the overall customer experience.
- Demonstrated well-developed strategic planning and analytical skills to formulate, implement and evaluate a clear strategic direction to deliver outcomes in an environment of emerging opportunities and challenges
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills including the ability to establish and maintain strong relationships through consultation, negotiation and collaboration.
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience in drafting high quality documents, submissions and presentations and confidently providing advice and direction to a range of audiences.
Remuneration and Benefits
An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT brings a broad range of tangible benefits. With competitive remuneration including superannuation, the University offers real and generous benefits.
QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions which include but are not limited to:
- Parental leave provisions
- Study support encompassing leave and financial assistance
- Comprehensive professional development
- Salary Packaging
Further benefits can be found at the Working at QUT page.
Information for applicants
The position is open to applicants who have unrestricted work rights in Australia for the duration of the fixed-term appointment. Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
For further information about the position, please contact Frances Eden, Director, HiQ and Library Services, on 0422 128 208; or for further information about working at QUT contact the HR Department on (07) 3138 5000.
QUT is proud to be an inaugural Athena SWAN charter member. We have extensive and established support programs for women in STEMM. For more information on the Athena SWAN charter, contact Smitha Mandre-Jackson on (07) 3138 0074 or Tracy Straughan (07) 3138 1584.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please visit www.qut.edu.au/jobs for reference number 0000267314.
When applying for this position we encourage you to upload your response to the selection criteria.
Applications close 2 June 2019.
The original job posting is here.