(12 October 2014) Jurn.org notes that that Paperity has ripped all the Springer.com open access articles from hybrid journals, into a TOCs directory and article pages, along with a basic search tool. The list of linked journals is here.
(9 October 2014) With the beginning of the new academic year, Paperity, the first multidisciplinary aggregator of open access journals and papers, has been launched. Paperity will connect authors with readers, boost dissemination of new discoveries and consolidate academia around open literature.
Right now, Paperity includes over 160,000 articles from 2,000 scholarly journals, and growing. The goal of the team is to cover 100% of open access literature three years from now. In order to achieve this, Paperity utilizes an original technology for article indexing, designed by Marcin Wojnarski, a data geek from Poland and a medalist of the International Mathematical Olympiad. This technology indexes only true peer-reviewed scholarly papers and filters out irrelevant entries, like student assignments or drafts that easily make it into other aggregators and search engines.
The amount of scholarly literature has grown enormously in the last decades. Successful dissemination became a big issue. New tools are needed to help readers access vast amounts of literature dispersed all over the web and to help authors reach their target audience.
Moreover, research today has become interdisciplinary. The most ground-breaking discoveries tend to happen on the crossroads of different disciplines. Scholars need broad access to literature from many fields, also from outside of their core research area. This is the reason why Paperity covers all subjects, from Sciences, Technology, Medicine, through Social Sciences, to Humanities and Arts.
“There are lots of great articles out there which report new significant findings, yet attract no attention, only because they are hard to find. No more than top 10% of research institutions have good access to scholarly communication channels and can share their findings efficiently. The remaining 90%, especially authors from developing countries and early-career researchers, start from a much lower stand and often stay unnoticed despite high quality of their work” says Wojnarski. He adds that it is not by accident that Paperity partners with the EU Contest for Young Scientists, the biggest science fair in Europe. With the help of Paperity, the Contest will improve dissemination of discoveries authored by its participants – top young talents from all over the continent.
Paperity is the first service of this kind. The most similar existing website, PubMed Central, aggregates open journals, too, but is limited to life sciences alone. Another related service, the Directory of Open Access Journals, does index articles from multiple periodicals and different disciplines, but does not provide aggregation, only pure indexing: it shows metadata of articles, but for full text access redirects to external sites. Moreover, both PMC and DOAJ impose harsh technical requirements on participating journals, which limits the scope of aggregation. Paperity adapts to whatever technology a given periodical employs. Check the website: http://paperity.org/
Read the announcement here.