(13 June 2017) The founding father in automated indexing and retrieval of information, Dr. Eugene Garfield pioneered the practice of citation analysis and infometrics, developing numerous citation databases that changed how scientists find and assess scholarly literature. To honor his legacy, Clarivate Analytics has established the Eugene Garfield Award for Innovation in Citation Analysis.
The award amount is $25k USD, paid in a single installment. In addition to the award, Clarivate Analytics will provide the successful applicant with in-kind support and access to Web of Science data.
The awardee will be invited to give a research presentation at an annual scientific event (the first year’s occasion will be at a memorial symposium in Dr. Garfield’s honor) and the awardee will be asked to participate in meetings of the Clarivate Analytics Scientific Advisory Board as appropriate.
A committee of scientometricians and information scientists will evaluate applications for novelty and innovation, and the winner will be notified in August 2017.
Applicants are required to submit PDF files in English by July 21st:
- a standard CV,
- 2 letters of recommendation (1 from supervisor or department chair;)
- and the application form to [email protected]
At the time of application, applicants must be an early-career researcher, no more than PhD + 10 years. The deadline for applications is 11:00 PM US (Eastern Standard Time) July 21st, 2017.
- The scholarship will be paid in a single installment.
- The successful applicant will be encouraged to present at an annual scientific symposium and participate in select Scientific Advisory Board meetings as appropriate (no additional compensation other than travel costs where appropriate).
- The successful applicant will be encouraged to publish a paper on his or her research within 12 months of receiving the award (exceptions allowed).
The announcement in full is here.