(24 Feb 2020) The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (CUHK-Shenzhen) invites applications and nominations for:
处长–图书馆 / Director of Library (Ref. 2020/004/01)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (CUHK-Shenzhen) is a new, independent university established through a Memorandum of Understanding between The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), Shenzhen University and the Shenzhen Municipal Government. The new University is a research-orientated, forward-thinking, non-profit- making University which places emphasis on cross-disciplinary teaching and research. CUHK-Shenzhen will nurture university graduates who are international in outlook, learned in the disciplines they follow, upright in their character, and committed to serving the needs of society.
CUHK-Shenzhen will draw upon CUHK’s traditions of academic excellence and the teaching quality is benchmarked to that of the CUHK; it is a research university of choice located in Shenzhen, firmly rooted in China, and endowed with a global vision. Students will be provided with an educational experience distinguished by a flexible credit unit system, a college system, whole-person general education, bilingualism as well as multiculturalism. With the mission of advancing the creation, preservation, application and dissemination of knowledge through the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research and public service; and the vision of being a first-class research university regionally, nationally and internationally, CUHK-Shenzhen will provide world-class educational opportunities to students and nurture talents for Shenzhen, the PRD Region and China as a whole.
At present, more than 5,500 students including undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD students are studying at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen. The University has programmes in science, engineering, economic management, and humanities and social science. Its long term goal is to recruit 11,000 domestic and international students, 7,500 of whom will be undergraduate students and 3,500 Masters or PhD students.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The appointee will establish, co-ordinate and implement a comprehensive library services for the university. The tasks include:
1. Leading the development and timely delivery of the Library’s strategic plans, policies and services consistent with the university mission;
2. Providing direction to university administration in deployment of library services to support teaching, learning, research, administration and social activities of the university;
3. Overseeing the development of the Library’s print and digital collections ;
4. Developing and managing the Library budget;
5. Recruiting, leading and developing a team of high quality Library staff;
6.Designing and delivery of the Library’s information skills training.
Qualifications and Requirements
1. Master’s degree in Library and Information Science, advanced degrees in relevant fields will be given preference in consideration.;
2. A proven record of holding progressively more demanding leadership and management roles over a ten year period in an academic library, with at least five years in posts with significant managerial and budgetary responsibility;
3. Organizational ability including the development, management and timely completion of large, complex library projects and programmes;
4. A proven ability to design, deliver and evaluate user-centered learning services and technologies;
5. Effective people management and teamed together building skills ;
6. Knowledge of emerging and current global trends in academic librarianship, information technologies and scholarly communication;
7. Evidence of ongoing professional development, participation and contributions;
8. Library start-up, renovation or new build experience preferred; familiarity of library information system and a proven ability to oversee its implementation, familiarity with library web site development and maintenance;
9. Excellent command of written and spoken English and Chinese.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Appointments will be made under the establishment of CUHK(SZ) and statutory benefits will be provided according to the prevailing labour laws applicable in the PRC. The appointee will be based at the University campus in Shenzhen, PRC.
Please send the completed Application Form and/ or a full curriculum vitae and names of three referees by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mark ‘Application – Confidential’ and the post applied on the cover.
Applications will be considered until the post is filled.