(4 Dec 2023) ALIA will be holding an online training course for cataloging practitioners. The course content is designed to provide you with as much practical experience of cataloging principles and practices as possible within the timeframe of 6 weeks.
- Identify and apply the current national and international standards used in constructing a catalog record such as RDA, ISBD and MARC
- Identify and construct the various elements to be considered when cataloging resources acquired by libraries. As this is a short course, the examples used in practical exercises will focus mostly on print and digital (e-book) text resources
- Identify availability of existing bibliographic records for same or similar items
- Edit bibliographic records according to local policies and procedures
- Select and use appropriate web-based resources in the cataloging process
- Understand and apply local policies for cataloging to meet client needs or specific requirements of different parts of the collection
- Understand the need for ongoing maintenance of catalogs as part of a library’s services
Training is conducted by TAFE NSW through online delivery.
Registration ends by Feb 13, 2024.
Find out more here.